This month’s MnSearch event will be held on Wednesday, September 28th and is focused on helping you learn about the Do’s and career ending Do Not’s of navigating your digital marketing career in today’s candidate tight market.
And prior to the event, we want to help you get to know a little bit about our speaker(s). So keep reading to learn about one of our speakers coming on at the end of the month, our MnSearch Membership Director, Josh Braaten.
1. How did you first hear about MnSearch?
I got wind of the very first event at Three Deep from a friend and decided to attend. I knew immediately that I wanted to be a part of the organization and that night I became the very first paid member of MnSearch. I joined the board shortly thereafter and have been a part of the organization ever since.
2. What can attendees expect to take away from your session on September 28th?
Knowing how to optimize a page or place the perfect bid for an ad is something you can perfect over time. But you only have one career and there are surprisingly few places search marketers can turn to for quality, nuanced information about how to navigate their careers. This is that event.
3. What is the biggest mistake that you still see organizations making in your area of expertise?
In general, I’d say treating marketing like it’s just another department. Increasingly, marketing is also at the heart of company’s technology decisions, customer service decisions and much more. Growth through marketing isn’t just about words on a page.
4. What one piece of career advice do you wish someone had given you when you started your career?
No one is going to make you happy except for you. Managing your own career, understanding what you really want and then navigating that path takes grit, determination, and faith that the hard work pays off. Your boss won’t do that. Your college professors won’t do that. No one except for you.
5. Besides your area of expertise, what is one topic of discussion that you could talk about for hours on end?
Home automation and other futuristic technology. Thermostats, lights, cameras, you name it. Maybe I watched too much The Jetsons as a kid, but I can’t help but live in the future.
6. What is the best part about working at LeadPages?
We run at break-neck speeds at Leadpages and ship some of the best marketing I’ve been a part of on a daily basis. The product vision is more than exciting and practically markets itself at times. That said, I’m glad they let me help.
7. Where is your favorite spot to grab drinks in the Twin Cities?
I’ve always been a fan of the back patio at Sweeney’s in St. Paul.
8. Where can we connect with you online?
Remember to register for this month’s event!