Join MnSearch as Our Next Events Co-Director
You’re a search marketing or digital marketing nerd in Minnesota who seeks to dedicate your special skills, experience, and passion to help further the mission and efforts of a leading professional organization.
More specifically, you’re a highly organized individual who enjoys putting together all the pieces of meaningful, impactful events that educate and entertain attendees. You enjoy working with others to make event magic happen, you’re great at keeping track of and managing multiple tasks, and you work calmly under pressure. Moreover, you’re committed to creating a welcoming community that increases diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging (DEIB) within the digital marketing industry.
Sound like you? Then we hope you’ll consider joining MnSearch as our newest board member!
The Minnesota Search Engine Marketing Association (MnSearch) is a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization that aims to raise the standards and awareness of search and digital marketing. Founded by search marketing geeks, MnSearch serves professionals at all levels of the industry.
The MnSearch Mission
- Seek knowledge. Educate search and digital marketing professionals and businesses about how to plan, execute, and measure effective online marketing strategies and tactics.
- Gain insight. Share the latest search and digital marketing trends and insights to help you stay current in our rapidly changing environment.
- Stay connected. Connect with other search marketing and digital marketing professionals and businesses in Minnesota to exchange ideas, collaborate on projects and learn about career opportunities.
Through all of this, MnSearch is committed to creating a welcoming community that supports diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging for everyone involved.
Duties of the Events Co-Director
MnSearch works to create a community where all people:
- Feel comfortable with sharing their opinions and insights,
- Receive recognition for the value they bring to the table, and
- Remain open to hearing from and relating to one another.
This culture permeates all levels of our organization, including the board of directors, advisory committee, members, sponsors, speakers, vendors, volunteers, and non-members who attend events, follow social channels and receive emails. Everyone on the board is responsible for developing an equity lens.
The Events Co-Director will weave this into their role while executing the following:
- Coordinate the logistics of monthly educational events, including placing orders for food, beverages and paper products for in-person events
- Facilitate the orderly execution of monthly educational events, including managing the setup and break down of in-person events
- Partner with the other Events Co-Director to plan and execute our annual conference, the MnSearch Summit
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Director to identify and coordinate volunteer opportunities during our events
- Collaborate with the Diversity Director to plan for incorporating diversity and inclusion related to speakers, topics and marketing tactics
- Seeking BIPOC-owned and/or socially responsible businesses for partnerships
- Manage reservations for in-person monthly board meetings
- Strictly adhere to the event budget and report budget updates to the board
- Act as the lead liaison between event vendors and the board
- Identify, support, and/or spearhead additional events to support MnSearch’s mission and diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts
Qualifications for the Events Co-Director
MnSearch seeks individuals for its Board of Directors who embody the following attributes:
- Enthusiastic endorsement of/passion for MnSearch’s purpose and mission
- Solid organizational, analytical and coordinating abilities
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work steadily and calmly in high-pressure situations
- Willingness to listen actively, learn continuously, think critically, and participate fully in conversations with other board members and our broader community
- Commitment to expanding MnSearch’s efforts in diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Interest in or experience working in the digital marketing industry
Additional preferred qualifications (one or more of the following)
- Experience serving on a board of directors
- Experience planning for and/or executing events (virtual, in-person or both)
- At least one year’s experience working in search marketing/paid advertising/social media/content marketing/digital marketing
Why You Should Join MnSearch’s Board of Directors
As part of our Board of Directors, you’ll help implement the strategies and tactics we create for our membership and our broader community.
You’ll also receive as much as you give. For example, as a member of the Board of Directors, you will:
- Expand your network by building meaningful relationships with other board members, speakers, sponsors, members and others in our community
- Learn the inner workings of a leading nonprofit organization
- Access trainings on leadership, diversity, event planning and more
- Further develop your marketing and strategic planning skills
- Help shape the future of Minnesota’s search and digital marketing landscape
- Fulfill MnSearch’s mission and purpose
- Follow MnSearch’s bylaws, policies and board resolutions
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure
- Participate in strategic and organizational planning
- Be a good fiduciary steward of MnSearch, including approving an annual budget and maintaining the organization’s financial health
- A commitment to continual growth and self-reflection to expand personal development around an anti-racist mindset and commitment to equity.
- Perform your role’s specific duties to the best of your abilities
- Assist your fellow board members as needed
- Serve as an ambassador for MnSearch
- Abide by the MnSearch Code of Ethics when acting on behalf of MnSearch
- Maintain an active Local membership during your term
First, understand that this is a working board. You’re expected to lead your area of responsibility and be proactive in moving projects and tasks forward. You’re also expected to pitch in within other areas when needs arise (e.g., Summit planning, supporting your fellow board members).
- Time commitment varies each month. At a minimum, you should expect 5 hours of meetings each month and 3 hours of working time each week. (Note: Time commitment increases in the months leading up to our annual conference, the MnSearch Summit, which takes place every June.)
- You’re expected to regularly attend board meetings and events. Monthly board meetings generally occur on the 2nd Wednesday of each month in the evening. Monthly marquee events generally occur on the 4th Wednesday of each month in the evening.
- You’re expected to engage frequently (multiple times a week) with the board via Slack and check and respond to your MnSearch email account every other day at a minimum.
- You agree to serve a 2-year term; which generally aligns with the calendar year (e.g., January 2022 to December 2023)
- Additional 2-year terms are possible, subject to the board’s approval
- MnSearch has a 6-year term limit (three 2-year terms)
Ready to Apply?
Great! Applications are currently being accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please fill out the application on our website.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org