As summer begins to turn to fall. Late September is a time for us all to once again begin thinking about change; both in season and in our careers. Because even as the leaves begin to fade, we all want our career growth opportunities to be doing the exact opposite.
To help, our event this month is focused on helping you get answers to your questions and find out how you can continue to steer your career in the right direction with the help of a small panel of experts.
So please join us on Wednesday, September 27th for an evening of career optimization.
And prior to the event, we want to help you get to know a little bit about our career experts. So keep reading to learn about one of our speakers coming on at the end of the month, Diane Kulseth of the University of St. Thomas.
1. How did you first hear about MnSearch?
Back in 2011/2012, I was working at Three Deep Marketing in St. Paul when one of the company partners (Jeff Sauer) helped start MnSearch. Being on his team, I quickly learned of the exciting work going into this new organization, and found myself going to events!
2. What can attendees expect to take away from your session at the end of September?
Being on the “in-house” side of things for an agency-heavy association, I hope that attendees find a new value in in-house positions and can have a better understanding of when and/or why you should make the jump to an in-house position.
3. What is the biggest mistake that you still see individuals making in driving their career growth?
I would say focusing only on the money when looking at a potential move. Certainly, it is a big driver in career growth, but there are other important drivers to consider in partnership with the salary amount.
4. What one piece of career advice, do you wish someone had given you when you started your career?
Take time to take risks and to fail. Be confident in what you have learned even if you are the junior person on the staff.
5. Besides career development, what is one topic of discussion that you could talk about for hours on end?
I’m quite the extrovert, I can pretty much talk about anything for hours. Except for cars. I know nothing about cars.
6. What is the best part about working at the University of St. Thomas?
I work with a fantastic team with ridiculously smart people. I feel like I’m always learning something new.
7. Where is your favorite spot to grab drinks in the Twin Cities?
8. Where can we connect with you online?