We had the opportunity to interview several of our highly anticipated speakers for the 2017 MnSearch Summit. Keep reading to learn more about John’s thoughts about voice search, his interest in religion and his go-to drink of choice!
If you haven’t already, register today to see John speak on June 23rd at the Summit!
1. What are you most excited about for the MnSearch Summit?
I love local conferences like MNsearch because they highlight the local search ecosystems in a powerful way. I’m excited to see the talent that exists in Minnesota and the insights that only come from smaller audiences.
2. What career advice could you offer for fellow digital marketers?
First, hone your craft. Your career is nothing unless you are world class at what you do.
Second, identify your niche and go deep into that. For a long time, I resisted this because I’ve always prided myself in being a generalist, but I have recently seen the extreme power in focusing on one thing and becoming known for that.
3. What advancement in technology are you most excited about in the near future?
I really think chat bots and voice search/automation are going to change the way we experience “the internet”. I think these are just starting to be tapped, and over the next 10-20 years, our lives are going to change significantly.
4. Besides digital marketing, what is one topic of discussion that you could talk about for hours on end?
Religion. I studied philosophy and theology for a couple of years at a hippie commune in the Swiss Alps, so I love this topic.
5. What is one mistake that you still see marketers making in 2017?
Not doing customer research to identify who they should be marketing to.
6. Which digital marketing tool, could you not live without?
SEMrush, no doubt.
7. At happy hour, what is your go-to drink?
If beer, then a good cold IPA. If cocktails, a rye Old Fashioned.
8. Bonus: What is your all-time favorite gif?
Don’t have one 🙁